Decision Making by Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
This book examines theoretical considerations in the study of decision making as well as practical applications in social interpersonal domains for adolescents and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). It provides a history of the study of decision making in individuals with IDD and examines emerging views on decision making from a positive psychology perspective. The book explores the role of decision making in self-determination as well as offers global perspectives on the rights and responsibilities of individuals with IDD to engage in independent decision making. It outlines a framework for the study of decision making in individuals with IDD, reviews research that addresses the role of culturally diverse influences on individual decision making, and examines likely consequences of the etiological bases of disability on decision-making profiles.
Key areas of coverage include:
· Critical role of basic processes of cognition, motivation and self-beliefs, affect and emotion, and various styles of decision making.
· Applications of decision-making skills within family and community contexts, in personal and social relationships, during transition to adulthood and more independent lifestyles, and in successful community living.
· Self-protective decision making by individuals in situations of abuse as well as in resisting peer victimization and bullying.
· Decision-making parameters for enabling maximum participation in self-decision making, through shared and supported decision making in contexts such as health care, aging, and end-of-life decisions.
· Research-based interventions to improve effective decision making in individuals with IDD.
Decision Making by Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities is a must-have reference for researchers, professors, and graduate students as well as clinicians and other professionals in the fields of developmental and positive psychology, rehabilitation, social work, special education, occupational, speech and language therapy, public health, and healthcare policy.
|Reihe||Positive Psychology and Disability Series|
|Ausgabe||1st ed. 2021|
|Verlag||Springer International Publishing|
|Herausgegeben von||Ishita Khemka, Linda Hickson|